A timeline of "MCP" in my life course.
MCP 4 Era
The first referent of the acronym is the operating system of the same name, which was at release 19 in 2019.
I was the systems programmer at Daytona Beach Community, now Daytona State college which was then a Burroughs shop as my second multi-year job out of college. 
In a my domain space concept, it is the designation for nodes of a Domain Control Program (DCP).
«MCP» is the operating system abstraction on a single node of a cluster, or cloud of computers with fast interconnectivity, miniminally 1 gigabit per second. The MCPs operate as the nodes of the larger OS construct, the DCP. MCP itself has these components/layers:
- The top level which is a lisp image running a generic blackboard model of realtime operations control and knowledge base management.
- The workflow level which is implemented by the Work Flow Language, another Burroughs inspiration, reimagined as a context for literate programming and revival of the job control concept based on an adaptation ofto the DCP context.
- A base layer close to machine level using the c++ actor framework and optionally a custom debian kernel.
About this time Unisys made MCP available to run from Windows 7 or 10 64 bit as "MCP Express" although I didn learn of this until 2019Q3 and didn bring it up till end of Q4 '20 (version 5). It is the full OS, sufficient to develop programs for current MCP (18). A main issue is that the license has to be renewed every August 1, but unclear how much disruption that is, working assumption is that worst case is that the backup restore utility would have to be used and the MCP rebuilt from reinstall.
Having hands on MCP 18 and seeing that it is fully available as a development target opens a role for the legacy MCP is the DCP, where "Unisys MCP" will be used wherever the distinction needs to be made clear. Also usages like ODT or MARC are unambiguously referring to the Unisys product as we never intended take more than inspiration from it and it is great to see that all of the mainframe stuff is available in the Windows based product including TCP/IP and DNS interfaces.
In this period the elements of the DCP are prototyped, marshalled, deployed then productized:
- Get working build of all packages in same form they will ultimately be used in the product.
- Get working build of newly created elements such as the DGUI/SPO and WFL.
- Apply the above to the proto domains.
- Workout in service of the proto domains.
- Do productization/packaging for mass deployment
CP 4721 roughly corresponds to what is produced by 1 and 2 and the AKDOMHST/SVC SKUs to 5.
Sometime between milestone 2 and 4, a MCP shell/remote SPO service will be made available to authenticated users.
Blank for formatting purpose.