Use as much or as little of this as you like. The bell will get my attention better than anything else because it forces a desktop pop-up as well making the same old fashioned loud door bell sound on my linux desktop. Root 16:39, 2 October 2011 (UTC)
Default settings for my red5 server(s) are set into the flash control but can be changed in the UI:
- server URL should always be: rtmp://daclips.meansofproduction.biz/live.
- (my) view stream name: rrjStream.
- (your) publish stream name: youStream where "you" can be replaced by your initials if you are not the first caller.
- follow instructions to the right of the publisher app, additionally connecting audio if you're not using a phone call.
Unique stream names are generated for callers other than me and the first which should be replaced by the convention above so other conferees can select in View. The server name may be set to loopback if I'm working on the app, it's normally up during North American biz hours and I'll usually respond to the bell if I'm near my desk.
Latency of connection
Any video stream should appear in a few seconds but lags of up to 10 have been observed and of course will lag the real-time of a phone call. The live video stream should not be off my more than a few seconds from the real-time of a phone call.
I'm currently using join.me for this from my Mac desktop which has 1400x1050 so or screen that size or larger is recommended. The main linux desktop, Windows Ultimate N, etc, are accessed from a VNC session on the Mac but it's the priced version which scales everything to the size of the Mac. The main linux desktop for example is currently 1920x1200. So 1280x1024 is probably not big enough.
Other Flash from red5 here
If we are not conferencing see my [gibsons.meansofproduction.biz flash and streaming media practice page], red5 is always up so see the oflademo there for canned video.
- a "Chat" tab to the Log panel
- social (FB and twitter page integration)
- mobile , just make sure bell also sends a SMS.
The established stuff is enough for practical use. All of above are related and I'd like to spend a longer time to do something that combines them all with other stuff I'm working on.